Elements to add to TabularSkyService

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Fri Jul 2 11:46:05 PDT 2004

I've been tied up this week so haven't been following the threads that've
developed.

We agreed in Boston the schema for Jan 2005. Anything under discussion now
WILL NOT affect that.

The table and column descriptions in TabularSkyService are simply there to
facilitate the creation of a simple query at this stage. In the future we
will likely adapt all the resource descriptions to use the data model but we
don't have that yet (although I understood someone was going to supply a
trial catalog data model a while back). In the meantime it is best to keep
it simple.

TabularSkyService is not a replacement for VOTable nor will it ever be.
Likewise VOTable is not in a form that could describe registry information
in any usable fashion. Let's not try to confuse the two.

We have a workable schema in TabularSkyService. Work is needed on the
description of applications however and that is an area that AstroGrid can
extend and develop over the coming months with a view to presenting options
for future releases of the schema.

We have decided on the schema to be used for Jan 2005. I suggest we
concentrate on building interoperable services based on that and solving
real problems based on those attempts. Both AstroGrid and NVO have committed
to building interoperable registries and services for Jan 2005 - AstroGrid
will not implement anything that defeats that goal or makes it difficult to
achieve.

(Now for the other threads - after all what are weekends for...)