Feedback on Harvesting - providing metadata to harvest

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Thu Jan 29 04:48:05 PST 2004

Absolutely right, Elizabeth. A registry will maintain a list of the
AuthorityIDs that it 'owns' and this list will replicate with the resource
records so other registries will know they cannot create such an AuthorityID
nor can they assign a resource to that AuthorityID.

All this is explained in:
  http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/PR/Identifiers/PR-Identifiers-20031031.html

http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOResource/, and the other related IVOA schemas are
also on that site.  The identifier is made of the AuthorityID (which should
be unique, but I don't currently know if watertight guidelines for choosing
one - somebody else may be able to better advise) and a ResourceKey, which
is a name that should be unique within your AuthorityID.  For example, if
your AuthorityID is "Astrogrid", then you can have a ResourceKey with value
"MartinHill" or "1XMM_service" even if another AuthorityID like "ESO" also
has a MartinHill or 1XMM_service. That's my understanding, anyway!

cheers,
Elizabeth