More separation

Ray Plante rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 22 09:06:36 PST 2004

Hey Gretchen,

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Gretchen Greene wrote:
> Perhaps this is a separate deal from the resource/service/interface
> discussion but often a question we've received from registry users.

I agree that the case you bring up is different from the issues that Tony
has been discussing.  However, to your point, I think we do need to start
registering tools.  As Tom has indicated, there is not any easy way to
discover tools, like Aladin, that can interact with VO services.  If these
were registered, then DataScope, for example, could search the registry
and present the user with the available choices of visualizers.

So one question then is, are there any specific bits of metadata we should
include in the description of the tools, requiring an extension schema?
Bob has suggested we consult previous endevours at software registries,
like the one he worked on as an AISRP project.