Terms

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Thu Dec 9 10:34:22 PST 2004

One of the problems we have is that we're all using different terms for the
same things (or vice versa). Can someone (Roy?) provide us with a reasonable
glossary of entities that we need to look at and quickie definitions. From
just today's threads, we can see:

 data centre (or center)
 service
 interface
 data collection
 dataset (which I think is just my term for data collection)
 database
 table
 mirror
 copy
 application
 function (as in what an app does)

Any other terms we need to add?

I've left out 'resource' deliberately - it is a somewhat loaded term. And
I've tried to keep to the higher level entities at this stage.

__
Tony Linde
Phone:  +44 (0)116 223 1292    Mobile: +44 (0)7753 603356
Fax:    +44 (0)116 252 3311    Email:  ael at star.le.ac.uk
Post:   Department of Physics & Astronomy,
        University of Leicester
        Leicester, UK   LE1 7RH
Web:    http://www.star.le.ac.uk/~ael

Project Manager, EuroVO VOTech   http://eurovotech.org