VOResource v0.8.2

Robert Hanisch rjhanisch at worldnet.att.net
Thu Sep 25 13:50:27 PDT 2003

Remarks on a few of Anita's points (most all of which I agree with)...

> Subject
> VOResource-v0.8.2.xsd
> defined as
> "Terms for Subject should be drawn from the IAU Astronomy Thesaurus
>            (http://msowww.anu.edu.au/library/thesaurus/)"
>
> I agree that the IAU  Astronomy Thesaurus should be the definative
> document, but it needs updating, expanding and major work to produce a
> namespace.  The IVOA should probably get the IAU to get it (the IVOA)
> to update it but in the meanwhile I suggested several alternatives
> http://wiki.astrogrid.org/bin/view/Astrogrid/RegistryKeywords and
> adopted one (based on the cut-down set of NASA keywords used by CDS)
> which I have set up as a namespace.
> http://wiki.astrogrid.org/pub/Astrogrid/RegistryIt03Metadata/keywords.xsd

I plan to expand RM a bit to include other sources of keywords.

> Documentation
> VOResource-v0.8.2.xsd
> More constraints on what this could contain:
> As Elizabeth Auden noted http://www.ivoa.net/forum/registry/0625.htm,
> a link to a Vizier-style ReadMe (e.g. Vizier itself) would be useful
> as the most concise way to describe catalogues for humans. The VO
> would not directly search this but it would be readily available to
> the user if they want to make a manual catalogue selection. Ideally
> this should contain the UCDs, if available, alongside the native
> column headings.

Do you mean Description, Anita?  RM can also give a bit more guidance here.
But I would also suggest that searching the Description field will be quite
helpful in locating resources of interest.

> UCDs
> These should be in the Registry if they exist, possibly under
> Documentation or in the section which includes Coverage.  Attempting
> to impliment the AstroGrid science cases showed that being able to
> search for terms like Proper Motion was very useful.  If UCDs are not
> available nothing is lost but the selection may be more complicated.

I'm still not so keen on this idea.  For simple tables, perhaps, but for
complex resources such as data archives, or large surveys (I think Alex
needed something like 500 UCDs to describe the SDSS) this will not be very
easy to do, or very useful.  If you want to find catalogs with proper
motions, I bet you can usually do so from the Description text.

I will take a crack at adding a UCD element into RM.  And then I suspect it
will be one of the fields that no one fills in, at least not if they are
doing manual entry.

Cheers
Bob