VOResource v0.8.2

Anita Richards amsr at jb.man.ac.uk
Fri Sep 26 01:37:39 PDT 2003

> > .... the IAU  Astronomy Thesaurus should be the definative
> > document, but it needs updating, expanding and major work to produce a
> > namespace.  The IVOA should probably get the IAU to get it (the IVOA)
> > to update it...
> I plan to expand RM a bit to include other sources of keywords.
Thanks.  Perhaps we should still (already?) be thinking of resolutions to
the IAU in 2003?

> > Documentation
> > VOResource-v0.8.2.xsd
> > More constraints on what this could contain:
> > As Elizabeth Auden noted http://www.ivoa.net/forum/registry/0625.htm,
> > a link to a Vizier-style ReadMe (e.g. Vizier itself) would be useful
>
> Do you mean Description, Anita?  RM can also give a bit more guidance here.
Oops, sorry, I think it was Documentation previously and that does make it
clearer it means the scientific rather than technical nature.
> But I would also suggest that searching the Description field will be quite
> helpful in locating resources of interest.
>
> > UCDs
> > These should be in the Registry if they exist, possibly under
> > Documentation or in the section which includes Coverage.  Attempting
>
> I'm still not so keen on this idea.  For simple tables, perhaps, but for
> complex resources such as data archives, or large surveys (I think Alex
> needed something like 500 UCDs to describe the SDSS) this will not be very
> easy to do, or very useful.  If you want to find catalogs with proper
> motions, I bet you can usually do so from the Description text.
>
> I will take a crack at adding a UCD element into RM.  And then I suspect it
> will be one of the fields that no one fills in, at least not if they are
> doing manual entry.

On the contrary, at least initially many of the entries will describe
resources which are already held by CDS in which case the UCDs can be
automatically extracted and inserted.  The reason to use Keywords and UCDs
is because the data provider's description and column headings can be e.g.
Proper motion, proper motions, dRA/dt etc etc. So you would have to have a
big translation tool - but, as CDS have already done it and are refining
it, we might as well use what exists.

But, we both agree, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating!

Awaiting the next RSM with interest,

Anita