VOResource v0.8.2

Anita Richards amsr at jb.man.ac.uk
Thu Sep 25 04:17:12 PDT 2003

Ray et al.,

The organisation of the new schemas suggested by Ray
http://www.ivoa.net/forum/registry/0591.htm
seems nice and logical to me, with a few possible omissions. I think some
of my detailed points are similar to those made by Tony, e.g. on links to
articles http://www.ivoa.net/forum/registry/0634.htm which I have made
more specific.

I apologise if I have missed anything but already included but it would be
nice to have a text version, either an updated RSM or a tree with comments
which exactly corresponds to the schemas; also if we can try and keep
replies with subjects which attatch them to the right thread.  There are
some general points which concern me:

1. Testing schemas
How are we are going to test the schemas by generating xml describing
sample data sets, services etc.?  Filling a few in by hand is the best
way I have found of understanding what is implied and whether it
matches Registry needs.  These schemas are at the limit of my
understanding of xml and Arnold Rots' STC schemas are way beyond it,
but I do not know how to generate complete xml templates (using
Oxygen) when many elements have 'minOccurs="0"' - please can someone
enlighten me?

2. Populating the registry
How are service and data providers going to supply the necessary
information? The most widely floated suggestion so far is web forms, but
these should be kept to about 2 pages max or they won't get filled in.
They need to be self-contained (e.g. each element has a pop-up with
definition, restrictions - in English) and the processing script needs to
translate obvious language into restricted terms (e.g. basic data to
BasicData), convert units approximately etc.

Where data sets are already in Vizier or other services with
standard metadata some information can be harvested, and other elements
are VO housekeeping which we can supply.  Not all the elements are
relevant to any one service.  However we should sketch a few dummy forms
(or other methods e.g. email questionnaire) to check that it is not
all getting too complicated for data/service providers without
full-time archivists etc. - or for most VO staff!

3. Detailed comments from AstroGrid work
Some of these points probably contradict my plea above for simplicity,
if any element is consistently unfilled in the first dozen
services/data sets registered then it should probably be dropped.
Also, I think that the registries of IVOA members should contain at
least all the IVOA elements but there may be others which only we
want.  However these are what I think are missing or need significant
ammendment:

Subject
VOResource-v0.8.2.xsd
defined as
"Terms for Subject should be drawn from the IAU Astronomy Thesaurus
           (http://msowww.anu.edu.au/library/thesaurus/)"

I agree that the IAU  Astronomy Thesaurus should be the definative
document, but it needs updating, expanding and major work to produce a
namespace.  The IVOA should probably get the IAU to get it (the IVOA)
to update it but in the meanwhile I suggested several alternatives
http://wiki.astrogrid.org/bin/view/Astrogrid/RegistryKeywords and
adopted one (based on the cut-down set of NASA keywords used by CDS)
which I have set up as a namespace.
http://wiki.astrogrid.org/pub/Astrogrid/RegistryIt03Metadata/keywords.xsd

Documentation
VOResource-v0.8.2.xsd
More constraints on what this could contain:
As Elizabeth Auden noted http://www.ivoa.net/forum/registry/0625.htm,
a link to a Vizier-style ReadMe (e.g. Vizier itself) would be useful
as the most concise way to describe catalogues for humans. The VO
would not directly search this but it would be readily available to
the user if they want to make a manual catalogue selection. Ideally
this should contain the UCDs, if available, alongside the native
column headings.

UCDs
These should be in the Registry if they exist, possibly under
Documentation or in the section which includes Coverage.  Attempting
to impliment the AstroGrid science cases showed that being able to
search for terms like Proper Motion was very useful.  If UCDs are not
available nothing is lost but the selection may be more complicated.

source - bibcode etc.
In RSMV0.8 this is under content but it should be under Documentation
I think.

Data set size and query restrictions, included in AstroGrid registry
This will be useful e.g. to help decide which catalogue to search
first in a cross-matching exercise; whether it is necessary to call a
cut-out server; how long a job will take.
RSMv0.8 contains examples of query restrictions (e.g. max. radius of
cone search) which seem useful but are not here.

DataService
Elizabeth Auden proposed http://www.ivoa.net/forum/registry/0625.htm
that we need a broader term than SkyService, and in fact we need to
cover non-observational catalogues like lists of phenomena and other
non-positional data - hence I suggest DataService (rather than the
subdivisions Elizabeth suggested, as some data may not be easy to
categorise).

Coverage
Spatial, Spectral, Temporal - maybe Resolution should be one of the
subelements in each of these, along with dimensional coverage, accuracy,
regionOfRegard etc. - maybe depth/sensitivity is extra?  RSMv0.8 seemed to
do very well, with a little reorganisation. The STC documentation
seems very comprehensive but we will only find out how complete the
related schemas are and how far it is necessary to go when using them
to answer queries.  The Registry should only use a tiny fraction of
their complexity and will impose added restrictions (I hope!)
e.g. units.

Otherwise I support Elizabeth Auden's suggestions, especially the need
to include services like MySpace.

thanks