IVO ids and Data Sets Identifiers

Arnold Rots arots at head-cfa.cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Sep 24 08:04:13 PDT 2003

I'm all in favor of getting something done, but we're not
experimenting here - at least not where it concerns the identifiers
used for the the literature links.

In abstracto you are right.  But I agree with Francois that we ought
to make the conversion easy for what I expect to be a common case -
where an authority ID translates into a root URL.

I may be dense, but what is the advantage of having multiple resources
registered under the same authority - other than abstract elegance?

If there is a need to define an authority as overarching several
registered resources, there is in principle no reason to require that
such linking be visible in the identifiers - especially not if it
means a loss of convenience in common situations.  What counts in the
identifier is the registered resource that it points to.

  - Arnold

Tony Linde wrote:
> > My only problem is that the usage of the # will forbid the
> > usage of the same identifier as an IVO identifier AND as an
> > UR[IL] directly usable to point to a dataset from an
>
> Good. It should not be usable as a url. It's sole purpose is as an
> identifier of a resource within the registry and it has no meaning other
> than that.
>
> > I feel it's a pity to introduce this incompatiblity -- and
> > moreover I agree fully with Arnold, I cannot understand the
> > necessity of a resource_key. What you need is just a unique
> > identifier, which will be supplied by the Authority.ID . It's
> > not the role of the registry to define this, IMHO.
>
> The registry won't be defining either. Users of a registry will be able to
> register an authority id and then define the resource keys under that
> authority. The registry will ensure that the resource key chosen is unique
> within that authority.
>
> This has been discussed for months now. The telecon yesterday agreed that
> the resource identifier WD should be submitted as a Proposed Recommendation
> to allow projects to try it out, especially during the Jan demo.
>
> If it turns out that people are only registering one resource under each
> authority then we can revisit the situation. Let's get something *done*.
>
> Cheers,
> Tony.

Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head-cfa.harvard.edu