IVO ids and Data Sets Identifiers

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Wed Sep 24 09:28:32 PDT 2003

This message is to Francois:

Suppose I suck in all the Vizier metadata into my registry at Caltech.

If we take the simple model, where Authority ID maps directly to URL, then
the Vizier resources would have persistent global identifiers like this:

    ivo://nvo.caltech.edu/VizieR/B/hst/hst

How do you feel about this? People might think that all the work that was
done at Strasbourg to build Vizier was actually done at Caltech. Is that OK?
I suspect not!

There are two answers:

(1) Nobody can publish with maintaining a registry infrastructure -- and
remember these are persistent, so it means FOREVER.

(2) We say that Authority ID is separated from the URL where the registry is
kept by a layer of indirection.

Roy

--------
Caltech Center for Advanced Computing Research
roy at cacr.caltech.edu
626 395 3670