IVO ids and Data Sets Identifiers

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Wed Sep 24 07:41:17 PDT 2003

> My only problem is that the usage of the # will forbid the
> usage of the same identifier as an IVO identifier AND as an
> UR[IL] directly usable to point to a dataset from an

Good. It should not be usable as a url. It's sole purpose is as an
identifier of a resource within the registry and it has no meaning other
than that.

> I feel it's a pity to introduce this incompatiblity -- and
> moreover I agree fully with Arnold, I cannot understand the
> necessity of a resource_key. What you need is just a unique
> identifier, which will be supplied by the Authority.ID . It's
> not the role of the registry to define this, IMHO.

The registry won't be defining either. Users of a registry will be able to
register an authority id and then define the resource keys under that
authority. The registry will ensure that the resource key chosen is unique
within that authority.

This has been discussed for months now. The telecon yesterday agreed that
the resource identifier WD should be submitted as a Proposed Recommendation
to allow projects to try it out, especially during the Jan demo.

If it turns out that people are only registering one resource under each
authority then we can revisit the situation. Let's get something *done*.