VO and ADEC identifiers

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 17 11:15:55 PDT 2003

Hi Arnold,

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Arnold Rots wrote:
> Which is precisely why I suggested that we consider HC.BIMA/BDA as an
> authority Id and write it as HC.BIMA.BDA
> What you need to resolve is everything preceding the first '/'

What I'm trying to achieve is a way in which we can take an ADEC
identifier and use it more or less transparently to resolve it via a VO
Registry.  What does this buy you, practically?  For one, it means that a
data provider can base its dataset ids that it provides to ADS on the data
collection IDs that it has registered with the VO.  The provider doesn't
have to use a completely different system for dataset IDs.  If anything it
will be less confusing. i.e:

   Here's what's registered in the VO registry:  HC.BIMA/BDA
   Here's what the providers data resolver resolves:  HC.BIMA/BDA#t412/c110

Everything before the slash is the authorityID.  The provider can, if
he/she chooses, register an authorityID for every collection they curate;
however, the model is based on the idea that a provider will only use one
or a few authorityIDs; it simply defines a namespace.  (Is it something
more for ADEC?)  ADS can still map an authorityID to a data center
resolver (since only one data center would have dibs on the authorityID).

Does this fly?