VO and ADEC identifiers

Arnold Rots arots at head-cfa.cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Sep 17 11:35:32 PDT 2003

Ray Plante wrote:
> Hi Arnold,
>
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Arnold Rots wrote:
> > Which is precisely why I suggested that we consider HC.BIMA/BDA as an
> > authority Id and write it as HC.BIMA.BDA
> > What you need to resolve is everything preceding the first '/'
>
> What I'm trying to achieve is a way in which we can take an ADEC
> identifier and use it more or less transparently to resolve it via a VO
> Registry.  What does this buy you, practically?  For one, it means that a
> data provider can base its dataset ids that it provides to ADS on the data
> collection IDs that it has registered with the VO.  The provider doesn't
> have to use a completely different system for dataset IDs.  If anything it
> will be less confusing. i.e:
>
>    Here's what's registered in the VO registry:  HC.BIMA/BDA
>    Here's what the providers data resolver resolves:  HC.BIMA/BDA#t412/c110

That all depends on whether we use the same ivo:// prefix.  If the ADS
identifiers were to use, say, ads:// one would need a separate
registration anyway - in which case one could do a translation, if
really necessary.

> Everything before the slash is the authorityID.  The provider can, if
> he/she chooses, register an authorityID for every collection they curate;
> however, the model is based on the idea that a provider will only use one
> or a few authorityIDs; it simply defines a namespace.  (Is it something
> more for ADEC?)  ADS can still map an authorityID to a data center
> resolver (since only one data center would have dibs on the authorityID).
>
> Does this fly?

I'm not sure.  If mission divides its dataset space into individual
instruments, it might be possible that these will end up in different
archives, at some point.  That would argue in favor of Sa.HST.STIS,
rather than Sa.HST/STIS, if I understand the system correctly.
These may be somewhat arcane points, but I want to make sure that
we're not making things more complicated than necessary.

  - Arnold

> cheers,
> Ray

Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head-cfa.harvard.edu