VO and ADEC identifiers

Arnold Rots arots at head-cfa.cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Sep 17 10:46:56 PDT 2003

Which is precisely why I suggested that we consider HC.BIMA/BDA as an
authority Id and write it as HC.BIMA.BDA
What you need to resolve is everything preceding the first '/'

  - Arnold

Alberto Accomazzi wrote:
> Alberto Micol wrote:
>  >
>  > I forgot to mention the other problem I have with the syntax
>  > proposed by Ray. The privateID could contain reserved characters
>  > like the '/' in Ray's example:
>  >
>  >  >>         HC.BIMA/BDA#t421/c110.ori
>  >  >>         \_____/ \_/ \___________/
>  >  >>            |     |        |
>  >  >>  IVOA   authID  ResKey  Dataset name
>  >  >>         \-----/ \_________________/
>  >  >>            |             |
>  >  >>  ADEC   InstID    dataset ID
>  >
>  >
>  > The reserved characters should be escaped, eg:
>  >
>  > HC.BIMA/BDA#t421%2Fc110.ori
>  >                 ***
>  >
>  > isn't it ?
>
> I think this shows exactly why the syntax that Ray suggested, while a
> little more complex than the original design, may be useful:  by
> adopting a format that clearly marks the private dataset identifier
> part, (i.e. whatever follows the "#" character), there will be no
> ambiguity about what is what.
>
> So for instance, from this identifier:
>
> 	HC.BIMA/BDA#t421/c110.ori
>
> I can quickly figure out that in order to resolve it I need to do a
> registry lookup of "HC.BIMA/BDA", find a dataset resolver associated
> with it, and then go to the resolver with the string "t421/c110.ori"
> If you do away with the "#" character, then you have a situation in
> which it's not clear which part of the identifier should correspond to a
> key into a resolving service and which is the private identifier.  You
> also make it impossible for private identifiers to contain a "/", which
> would not be a tragedy, but nonetheless.
>
> An analogy that may help: consider the following URL:
>
> 	http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/bib_query?2003adass..12..309A
>
> An http server that receives a request for such a URL would know exactly
> what to do: find the CGI script corresponding to /cgi-bin/bib_query for
> the virtual server adsabs.harvard.edu and then pass to it the query
> string 2003adass..12..309A.  While it's true that a similar thing can be
> accomplished using a different URL syntax, I think it would
> unnecessarily add complexity.
>
> In terms of instrument names:
>
> > In one sentence I would simply answer that the instrument names
> > do not add anything to the identifiers, hence they should not be used.
> > Instrument names are part of the metadata associated with
> > the data nothing to do with the identifier.
>
> I neither agree nor disagree ;-)  I think the matter of defining the
> namespace under an authorityID should be left to the curator of the data
> collection(s).  We can, of course, have reccomendations as to what the
> "best practice" should be.
>

> -- Alberto
>

> > Alberto
> >
> > --
> [...]
Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head-cfa.harvard.edu