People and Cars in the VOregistry?

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Thu Sep 11 06:07:59 PDT 2003

Ray and Tony

What is the purpose of putting "people" descriptors in the VO registry? In
involves a lot of new schema and promise of new work to manage this new
aspect. What is the benefit? There are already directories of members of AAS
etc, are we reinventing the wheel? Was this just somebody's off-the-cuff
suggestion at some meeting, or is there a real purpose? What is the use
case?

Surely our core mission is to register *services* and *datasets*? We want to
relate datasets to other datasets and the services that made them.

I go along with projects, organizations and other "secondary" material
because they just use generic VOResource schema (title, description etc) and
little extra effort is needed.

Real librarians do not have registries of people -- or at least they use
different systems for people and books. When we put in people there are
essentially new kinds of record that pull our registry further from
interoperating with the rest of the digital library world.

While we are on the topic, can I put in a request for a bit of schema that
covers automobiles? I would like to register my car in the VO registry.  :-)

Roy