People and Cars in the VOregistry?

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 11 07:29:32 PDT 2003

Hi Roy,

> What is the purpose of putting "people" descriptors in the VO registry?

In our modeling exercises, we consider several different possible types of
things we might want to register, some of which we did not create schemas
for.  The purpose (in my mind) was to help ensure the robustness of the
model.  In fact, the "Person" resource led to the creation of a
"ManagedResource" class.

I do not think we should include the Person schema with the
standardization of the core resource metadata.  I agree that we don't have
a compelling need for it at this time.  And--perhaps because of this--I
don't think its schema is sufficiently well developed.  Nevertheless, the
schema posted on the wp site can represent how such a resource will fit
into the overall model when it comes necessary to add it.

One possible future use that came up at our team meeting was to register
people to store their authorization privileges.

Sorry for the confusion,