standard schemas: defining and extending

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 20 00:45:15 PDT 2003

Hi,

I wanted to share a few thoughts I've had about how I expect
resource metadata schemas will be defined, standardized, and extended.  I
don't think these are particularly controversial, but it would be good to
test them.  (In particular, tell me if you disagree.)  Hopefully this will
help guide us through some of the items currently under discussion.

I'm motivated by Anita's recent feedback and some of the discussion it
inspired, in particular, the questions about whether such-n-such should or
should not be included in the RM document.

So, here's my thinking...
 1. I'm expecting these schemas to be standardized using the process
    outlined by the DM WG, which can be seen as a superset of the process
    set forth Document and Standards.   The RM document, a prose document,
    represents the first step.  (According to DMWG, it should include UML
    diagrams, which we haven't done, yet.)  A specific XML schema based on
    the document follows, being approved separately.

    (The schema may be in one file or several, as AG's iter. 2 has done.)

 2. The RM document represents only a portion of the metadata that may
    appear in a registry.  It focuses on:
      a.  metadata generally shared by all resources
      b.  other metadata that may not be strictly universal but which can
          be used to describe more specific types of resources (such as
          services).

 3. The Resource metadata structure defined by the XML schema sets forth
    the mechanisms for extension--in particular, for describing more
    specific types of resources.

 4. Other specific types of resources will be defined with their own
    documents and XML schemas which go through the standardization
    process separately.  Examples would the extensions for Data
    Collections, Organizations, Tables, etc.  This allows us to
    standardize things piecemeal and as needed, rather than having to get
    it all right at the beginning.

    For services, I expect to see a general extension to cover common,
    non-standard services, including browser-based web forms, HTTP
    GET/POST services, and custom Web Services.  In addition, each
    *standard* service (e.g. SIA, Cone search) will have its own schema,
    extending the general service metadata.  Again, each of these goes
    through the standarization process separately.

 5. The Space-Time metadata is sufficiently complex but self-contained
    that it should go through the standardization process separately.
    Although it does not describe a type of resource, it will be used
    within a resource description; that is, a resource schema will include
    it.

So as for Anita's additions, some should be included formally into the RM
document; others may be relegated to a schema to be defined separately.
Regardless, they need to be covered somewhere.  There is no problem with
our prototypes extending the RM (that is certainly the case for the NVO
prototype), and for our January demos, I expect we will need to use at
least some of the same extensions.

Does this make sense?