handling metadata with multiple values

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 12 11:33:34 PDT 2003

Hi Gretchen,

Hmm, I thought you guys didn't like the list elements (or at least Wil
didn't).

> I also endorse the ucdList element and hope to see this added into the
> VOResource schema.  This element would simplify mining metadata content
> to find potential data sets which will satisfy data value driven query.
> In other words a high level filtering capability.

Could you expand on this a little more about how it would help?  That is,
how do you envision extracting values to test against a query?  (e.g. will
you extract into a database first?  using an ots tool or something custom
written on top of, say, DOM & JDBC?)

There is no difference in the information stored in the two approaches.
So the differences are in how you access the data programmaticly and how
it looks.  (Any others?)  My discussion addressed the programmatic issues.
I don't want to discount the ascethetics, but I think it is important to
understand which kind of issue we're talking about.