[Ops] Draft concept for standard validator output

Tom McGlynn (NASA/GSFC Code 660.1) tom.mcglynn at nasa.gov
Thu May 12 09:02:01 CEST 2016

Attached find a sketch of a possible standard output format for
validators.  It uses a relatively simple but recursive structure to
accommodate both relatively simple validations, e.g., the result of a
single IVOID validation, more complex validations, like the output from
TAPLint, and could even support a snapshot of what VOParis, ESA and the
HEASARC are saying about all registered DAL services.  It's easy to
combine results.  For a given test only a name field, the item being
tested, and a result are required, but there are optional fields to
specify the standard being used, the validator itself, text describing
errors (or successes), and the relevent location in the standard
document.  At this point we should probably worry most about the
structure in a abstract fashion though we'll want to agree upon a
serialization eventually.  I put in a couple of examples, one in JSON
and one in XML but presumably we'd pick only one.

This document is intended only to kick off discussion, please feel free
to suggest an entirely different approach.

     Tom McGlynn