[Ops] Policy for pruning non-responsive services from VO registries

Tom McGlynn (NASA/GSFC Code 660.1) tom.mcglynn at nasa.gov
Thu Jun 18 11:57:25 CEST 2015

Renaud has put the latest draft of their proposal for cleaning registry
entries for non responsive services at
http://wiki.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/IvoaOps/Proposal-Registry-QA-v0.4.pdf.

In the VAO/NAVO we have adopted a similar process but with smaller time
scales and using a different mechanism for marking the services.

Our approach was:

Each month
    List services non-responsive for > 2 months
    Review list in our operations group
    Send email to responsible party[ies] indicating service[s] that will
be deprecated in
      2 weeks
    After two weeks review list again including any responses.  No
      service deprecated if the responsible party expresses any
objection.  We
      also confirm that the service is still unresponsive.
    Update the registry to change the validation level to 1 for
remaining services.
      These services will not be returned in normal registry queries.

We've been doing this with some regularity for about 3 years.  My
recollection is that we've virtually never had someone object to the
proposed deprecation, nor have we had any complaints after doing so.
We've gotten a lot of responses where the user said that the record
should be deleted entirely (which we did when MAST was the responsible
registry).  No records are deleted except on request and we continue to
check deprecated services in case they come back up.

     Tom McGlynn