[Media] Media group/CSP/Exec telecon reminder ... Thu (May10) @15:00 UTC

Mark Allen mark.allen at astro.unistra.fr
Thu May 10 15:28:07 CEST 2018

Dear Media group,

The IVOA will have a booth at the IAU General Assembly in August. I include below a rough outline of the planning. I would like to ask whether the media group could help with the flyers that we would like to print and give out at the booth?

We will need an IVOA flyer - double-sdied A4 probably the easiest thing to do.

I think that we also need a basic template for a double-sided A4 flyer, to be used (optionally) by each IVOA member project to make a flyer.

We also need a poster of the IVOA logos like on the web page… and probably a roll-up standing poster - but these I think we have under control so long as we can access the high quality logo graphics.

Sorry to ask so many things, especially considering all the actions listed for the telecon. In any case I’ll be on the telecon to discuss further.

best regards,
Mark

IVOA Booth at the IAU General Assembly

Dates: August 20-31, 2018

The booth is intended primarily for the astronomy research community audience, with materials and demos to advertise IVOA member projects.
A lot of informal discussions happen at these types of events, and the aim is for IVOA to be visible and to highlight its role in the International Astronomy community.

(But also note the description in the prospectus: The exhibit is mainly designed for the display, demonstration and sale of items and services related to astronomy and astrophysics and also has public-outreach and educational character, especially for visiting pupils and teachers from Austrian schools. )

Schedule of booth attendance
- the set-up of the booth needs to be done on Sunday Aug 19.
- The exhibit rules say that the booth should be staffed 8h - 17h
- I suggest that we aim to have 2 people at the booth during morning and afternoon sessions ( and just one person 8h-10h, at least on the first days)
10h - 13h30
13h30 - 17h
- The schedule of the IAU GA is available here, showing the coffee and lunch break times:
http://astronomy2018.univie.ac.at/uploads/media/Programme_09_04_2018.pdf <http://astronomy2018.univie.ac.at/uploads/media/Programme_09_04_2018.pdf>

Staffing of the IVOA Booth

We are taking a bit of a risk with the assumption that we can sufficiently staff the booth. It will be important for IVOA member projects to identify people who can help staffing of the booth. An on-line file with the schedule will need to be put in place.

The current known IVOA participants are:

G. Iafrate (INAF)  20-27 Aug
S. Bertocco (INAF) 20-27 Aug

M. Allen (Euro-VO - CDS)  Aug 19, 23-31 Aug  (Note - probably not available much in the very first days)
C. Loup (CDS)  20-25 Aug
P. Ocvirk (CDS)  20- ~28 Aug - limited availability
M. Brouty (Euro-VO, CDS) 20-31 Aug - dedicated CDS booth staff
K. Lutz (Euro-VO - CDS/ASTERICS) 20-31 Aug

G. Cimo (ASTERICS / JIVE)   Aug 20-24

A. Kembhavi (VO-India)  ??

C. Cui (China-VO)  + China-VO volunteers Aug 20-31

I. Evans, J. Evans (CfA / US VOA) ??

P. Whitelock (SA3)  ??

I. Vaviloa (Ukranian VO) 26 - 31 Aug

Booth Materials

We will need to have printed materials to give out at the booth. I suggest an IVOA flyer, and also flyers for each IVOA member.

I suggest we make a standard template for a double-sided flyer, and each IVOA member project can use the template for a flyer about their project. Perhaps the Media group can make the template ?

To be discussed - other flyers etc. from booth staff organisations - e.g. CDS flyers available when CDS demo “booth event” being conducted

IVOA stickers?  Other give-aways?

Booth Events

A request will be made for IVOA member projects to propose “Booth events”.

The idea is to have short demos using the computer/display as support. Given the logistics of the booth it would probably be practical to have ~10 people at a time watching a demo, and it has to be simple enough to work in the busy environment of the exhibit hall. Having these events would also allow individual IVOA member projects (or represented institutes?) to highlight their tools/services etc.

Booth Decoration

The booth comes with:
3x3 m2 standard booth including carpet, white walls, banner with exhibitor's name,
1 spotlight, 1 table, 2 chairs, 1 waste bin, Standard power supply.
To be organised:
- a Video display screen/TV (as large as possible)
- a mac-mini (provided by CDS) will be attached to the display and locked to the table
  (expect that connecting laptops will also be possible)
- A standing flag or roll-up banners
- A poster to be displayed on a poster board - IVOA and member projects logos as on IVOA web site
   - Plus a separate part with Sponsorship logos: CfA, CDS/ASTERICS, INAF

Mark G. Allen
Director CDS
+33 (0)3 68 85 24 87
+33 (0)7 84 07 87 57