[Media] VO handouts -- what tools/services to highlight? Draft for **Dec 19**

Enrique Solano esm at cab.inta-csic.es
Tue Dec 19 12:02:07 CET 2017

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for preparing the handout. Just a couple of comments on mi side.

* I see it too technical-oriented. It is perfect for data providers or
VO software developers but, in my opinion, we are missing the
astronomical community, i.e, people interested in doing new science /
science in a more efficient way using VO tools. Something about VO tools
(generically if you wish, in order not to make a) and a nice image
illustrating VO science should be included.

* I would change the sequence  "Access, Explore, Analize, Share" by
"Discover, Access, Analyze"

Cheers,

Enrique.

On 19/12/17 06:38, Budynkiewicz, Jamie Anne wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Not sure if that last message went through to the media at ivoa.net
> <mailto:media at ivoa.net>. I got a filesize warning when I sent this
> originally. Apologies if this is just a duplicate message for most of
> you...
>
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EfMh3uOUa9Lvaw08Vo4nvCrMADTHQfvU -- PDF
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nnGoxntlzjemFfPTGJAObrmiumBTSb_h --
> powerpoint
>

> Here's a draft of the handout for AAS. It's laid out as being a 6.5 x
> 8.5 inches handout with a front and back. The front gives the idea to
> scientists, what VO does for them. The back lists IVOA-related (or at
> least VO related) booths in the exhibit hall.  I'm pretty sure the
> logo's side of the handout needs work (did I get everyone? Are there
> some institutes that shouldn't be on this handout? (e.g., I know
> there's some folks at Astron who are in the IVOA, but I'm not sure
> their institute is part of it).
>
> Here's the AAS exhibitor's list for
> reference:  https://aas.org/231st-aas-meeting/231st-aas-meeting-exhibitors
> <https://aas.org/231st-aas-meeting/231st-aas-meeting-exhibitors>
> And the USVOA's list of
> participants:  https://hea-www.cfa.harvard.edu/USVOA/about-the-usvoa/
> <https://hea-www.cfa.harvard.edu/USVOA/about-the-usvoa/>
>
> Besides a general review of the handout (is teh concept good? should
> there be a different angle to it?), I'm looking for the following in
> your reviews:
>
> 1.  What are the best images to use for the front side?
> 2.  Is the IVOA info OK? I took it from the current site homepage.
> 3.  Should I point to a specific page on the IVOA website?
> 4. Is it OK to put "ask anyone at these booths for more VO/IVOA
> information?" Should we list specific booths that are OK with having
> VO questions? I'm guessing the later...
> 5.  Do I have the right logo's on the back?  Please feel free to
> move/resize the logos. THere's some organization in them; I tried to
> keep the USVOA logos together.
>
> Just to say it, the exec meeting is at **10:00am EST**, so I'm not
> sure this will be presented at the telecon, but there should be enough
> time to get reviewed by the Exec before AAS.
>
> Thanks in advance for taking a look.
>
> Cheers,
> Jamie
>
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 12:32 AM, Budynkiewicz, Jamie Anne
> <jbudynkiewicz at cfa.harvard.edu <mailto:jbudynkiewicz at cfa.harvard.edu>>
> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     Here's a draft of the handout for AAS. It's laid out as being a
>     6.5 x 8.5 inches handout with a front and back. The front gives
>     the idea to scientists, what VO does for them. The back lists
>     IVOA-related (or at least VO related) booths in the exhibit hall.
>     I'm pretty sure the logo's side of the handout needs work (did I
>     get everyone? Are there some institutes that shouldn't be on this
> [...]

Enrique Solano
Spanish Virtual Observatory
Centro de Astrobiología (INTA-CSIC). Campus Villafranca
Camino Bajo del Castillo, s/n
28692 Villanueva de la Cañada
Madrid (SPAIN)