[Media] VO handouts -- what tools/services to highlight? Draft for **Dec 19**

Bruce Berriman GBB at ipac.caltech.edu
Mon Dec 18 20:57:28 CET 2017

Hi Jamie

Please see notes below.

=Bruce

> On Dec 18, 2017, at 7:54 AM, Budynkiewicz, Jamie Anne <jbudynkiewicz at cfa.harvard.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Bruce,
>
> Thanks for the inputs. And totally understandable Hmm... didn't think of the time restraints for booth materials.  And making sure all IVOA partner institutes' efforts are somehow contained in that handout. Good things to keep in mind.
>
> Concerning the booth materials problem, we could still at least hand them out at the Student Reception on Monday night.  If an institute or person wants to take some anyway, they could print out some copies (or grab some from us).
>
> Concerning what's on the handout, we could make the information more general than a list of useful tools and services.  We could provide a link to the Tools page on ivoa.net <http://ivoa.net/> (making sure the page is up-to-date before AAS).
>
> Some ideas:
>   - If we decide to highlight anything, could we highlight the tools/services advertized by the IVOA exhibitors at AAS? For other conferences, we could update the highlighted list to tune to the exhibitors at that meeting

>> This might be useful, but this may run into political difficulties if, e.g., all NAVO member partners don’t think they are fully represented

>     - cons:  it wouldn't be a great representation of all the work done by IVOA partners; it would be localized to the meeting location

yes, but please be aware: organization specific exhibits are not about what other organizations have achieved,

>   - Be general  (e.g., Get Data, Analyze, and Publish -- check out the links. Here's a tiny blurb on what the IVOA is), but point to IVOA partner booths, related presentations (that we know of... this part might be hard at this stage…)

Thus might be the safest route.

>   - We could have one handout at the undergraduate reception, and another for tables.  I'm thinking, here's a list of tools for getting, analyzing, viewing, sharing data that would be useful to an undergrad student.

Does anyone need to approve material handed out at the undergraduate reception?

One approach may be:  US is part of the IVOA (through the USVOA) , whose protocols are built into services released at NED, HEASARC .. and are built into the following tools used by astronomers worldwide.

Cheers

Bruce