Version numbering

Robert Hanisch hanisch at stsci.edu
Wed Jun 25 07:28:51 PDT 2008

I don't quite understand all the excitement about version numbers.  We
adopted a scheme for this several years ago that is simple and sufficient.
I don't think it matters particularly if different WGs assign version
numbers differently, as long as the general structure as already documented
is used.

There is no special meaning to 0.9 or 0.99 as opposed to a simple
progression.  The comments in the document are suggestive only.

A WD1.0, PR1.0, and REC1.0 can all be identical (and generally are) save for
the boilerplate text at the beginning that identifies the status of the
document.

Let's put our collective energy into the content of the documents themselves
rather than arguing about version numbers.

Bob