Workflow

Matthew J. Graham mjg at cacr.caltech.edu
Wed Jan 19 15:44:23 PST 2005

Hi,

A couple of things in response:

>  We also need to define how those are described in
> the registry. Once these are all sorted, we'll have a standard way
> that any
> app can be delivered so that it can be found and run in a standard way.

So the standard service interface will tell me what arguments I need to
pass to a particular service or rather there will be a standard method
I call to get the list of arguments so invoking a service will actually
be a two-tier process: first get the list of arguments and then
construct the standardized call with these arguments? This means
weakly-typed WSDLs.

I would rather that the standard interface just guarantees things like
I can get the status and logging information for a job or its metadata
description.

> But the web services will all run on the computers where they've been
> installed.
> We're not talking about shifting the code around - a web service runs
> where
> it is installed. If there are multiple instances, they will still be
> executable instances.

With distributed data sets, we do not care where the data actually
resides as long as we have a transparent access protocol and it will be
the same with distributed computing resources so don't throw out the
concept of hot service deployment.

	Cheers,

	Matthew