Workflow

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Wed Jan 19 14:37:15 PST 2005

I think the difference with the MPI example is that we've already agreed
that services will generally be web services and we've got a standard
interface those must meet. We also need to define how those are described in
the registry. Once these are all sorted, we'll have a standard way that any
app can be delivered so that it can be found and run in a standard way. But
the web services will all run on the computers where they've been installed.
We're not talking about shifting the code around - a web service runs where
it is installed. If there are multiple instances, they will still be
executable instances.

And once the above is decided, you simply have to write the service
according to those rules. How a given workflow tool describes them for
invocation by a job execution service is irrelevant to how the service is
written - that is core to a service grid.

I'm not saying there might not be aspects of workflow that would be useful
to be standardised but that we really don't need to do that now - the IVOA
has plenty of things that we really need before the international VObs can
be realised without haring off after non-essentials.

Cheers,
Tony.