Workflow

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Thu Jan 20 01:30:04 PST 2005

> So the standard service interface will tell me what arguments
> I need to pass to a particular service or rather there will

No, I was referring to the resource description, whether it is stored in a
fine-grained registry or got by a two-step process from a coarse-grained
registry, where the parameter description is stored along with the rest of
the resource description required to invoke the service.

> With distributed data sets, we do not care where the data
> actually resides as long as we have a transparent access
> protocol and it will be the same with distributed computing
> resources so don't throw out the concept of hot service deployment.

Completely agree. We need to divide the description of a resource into at
least two parts: the application and the instances of it (or data and where
it is served from ~= mirrors: see previous registry discussions). So you
select the application you want to run and (eventually) the workflow engine
selects the most suitable instance of it for your job.

Cheers,
Tony.