VO or VObs

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Tue Jun 8 08:15:42 PDT 2004

Looking into the grid world, the concept of a VO seems to come alongside
what AstroGrid terms 'groups' (eg see
http://web.datagrid.cnr.it/LearnMore/QuickStart/step2.html).

The VObs would therefore need to encompass the concept of multiple VOs (as I
guessed below). Certainly, as we develop the idea of VOSpace (MySpace +
MyDb) it'll need to encompass grid concepts of security and might get
confusing if we're using two different meanings of VO in the same document.

So I think I'll stick to using the term VO for virtual organisations and
VObs for the virtual observatory. But for any document which *only* talks
about the virtual observatory, there should be no problem with using VO
after its first definition.

Cheers,
Tony.