Home for the UWS Registry Extension?

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Jun 11 18:41:00 CEST 2018

My feeling is that if you're going to use sync mode, it's because
you don't want to muck about with all that job ID business.
I always thought of UWS as a protocol for clients that want job metadata
(either to support long-running jobs or for other reasons)
and synchronous services as for clients that don't.

But at least I would be wary of, e.g., requiring something like
a TAP sync endpoint to be marked up in such a way that it has
to be implemented in a UWS-like way, rather than just delivering
the result and forgetting about it.  I know some services do
implement sync on top of async so that would not be an implementation
issue, but others may not.

I am not violently opposed to using UWS as a place to to hang
these sync/async markers, but I still find it a bit unintuitive
to have UWS talking about synchronous services.

Mark