Home for the UWS Registry Extension?

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Jun 1 17:39:26 CEST 2018

Hi Pat,

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 11:52:24AM -0700, Patrick Dowler wrote:
> 1. Is it useful for UWS to be extended to specify interface behaviour for
> synchronous job execution? TAP, SODA, and VOSpace all have "jobs" that can

I'd rather keep the UWS spec "clean" in the sense that it's keeps
essentially specifying a pattern for the async operation of services.
For sync, I'd argue DALI does what needs to be done.

> 2. Ae there common metadata about the UWS job endpoint that could be
> conveyed by adding content to the UWSRegExt? e.g. will UWSRegExt go beyond

That would be a UWS capability type; there *may* be problems that
that may solve.  One way to find them would be to go through
TAPRegExt and see which (if any) of the concepts could be pulled out
into a base class. Based on that, I'd see whether or not to do it.

> I do think it is important for us, as a community, to find ways to do small
> things and get them done in a short time, and then iterate more rapidly on
> minor versions.

I don't think we need a lot of procedural changes to enable quick
prototyping.  It's totally ok putting your schema in some "local"
place, e.g.,

http://www.cadc-ccda.hia-iha.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/xsd/UWSRegExt-0.1.xsd

and then redirect

http://www.cadc-ccda.hia-iha.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/xsd/UWSRegExt

to that (or course, if you have shorter host names easier to type,
I'd use them preferentially) -- the latter would be your schema
namespace URL, too.  At least my RegTAPs will pick up such types.  If
you want extra concepts in res_details, I'd be happy to prototype
them with you.

It'd be cool to use an x- prefix on the proposed canonical namespace
prefix (that's not specified anywhere, I give you that), like x-uws:
or something, but I don't think huge breakage will result if you
don't do that.

However, I'm not so sure about whether *minor* versions will usually
do for evolution while we still figure out what we need -- at least I
usually get it so wrong on the first attempt that I *want* to break
that first draft...

           -- Markus