Home for the UWS Registry Extension?

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Jun 12 12:21:39 CEST 2018

Brian,

some comments as requested on the content of the UWSRegExt draft:

Sec 1.1:
   The first sentence mentions the TAP 1.1 specification,
   but the citation is to TAP 1.0 (2010).

Sec 2.2:
   "Clients can recognize the TAP service as version 1.1 by checking
    for a version attribute with the value "1.1" in the capability."

       This is either confused or confusing (or I am): as far as
       I can see the <capability> element does not have a
       version attribute.  Clients have to look for version="1.1"
       in (a? the?) <interface> element within the target capability.
       So the TAP (or whatever) service itself is not versioned,
       its various interfaces are.  That also raises the question
       of having multiple interfaces with the same securityMethod
       and xsi:type, but different versions.

Sec 3:
   "... how the various UWS endpoints (namely the synchronous and
    asynchronous job execution endpoints) are to be discovered..."

      To me the synchronous endpoint is not a UWS endpoint at all.
      I would just write something like "... how the synchronous
      and asynchronous endpoints are to be discovered ...".

   "The surrounding capability element should be marked with the
    minor version of service specification, as per the recommendations
    in the XML schema versioning note ((?)))."

      This looks like the same issue as noted above:
      <capability> does not have a version attribute.
      Does it need to grow one?  Or do you mean the standardID
      should have a value which includes the standard's version?

Sec 3.1 example capability document:
   The stanza following the comment "# TAP 1.0 support" is a <capability>
   element inside a <capability> element.   I don't think that's legal -
   should those two <interface> elements be present here on their own?

   The accessURL for the authenticated (tls-with-certificate)
   TAP 1.0 interface is the same as for the unauthenticated one,
   accessURL="http://example.com/tap".  I think it should be
   accessURL="https://example.com/tap".

   The stanza following the comment "# TAP 1.1 support" contains
   several <interface> elements with identical namespace declaration
   attributes xmlns:uws="http://www.ivoa.net/xml/UWSRegExt/v1.0".
   This XML would (IMHO) be more readable if the that namespace
   attribute were factored out to an outer element
   (e.g. the top-level <capability>).

Sec 3.2 XSD:
   This schema references VOResource-1.0 - since VOResource 1.1 is
   now REC, should it reference that?  Given the XSD Versioning Note,
   I *think* the only change required is to the
   xs:import/@schemaLocation attribute that should read
      "http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOResource/VOResource-v1.1.xsd"
   rather than
      "http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOResource/VOResource-v1.0.xsd"

I still have my doubts about whether this approach is a complete
or optimal solution to the problem of TAP services with multiple
security methods, but this may not be the best place to air
those concerns.

Mark