VOSI 1.1 Erratum 1: XML versioning clarification and corrections

Brian Major major.brian at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 20:46:00 CEST 2018

Hi Mark and Markus,

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 3:14 AM Mark Taylor <m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk>
wrote:

> One thing not clear to me: is the intention to remove the document
> at http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOSITables/VOSITables-v1.1.xsd,
> which should not have been there in the first place
> (since its content should be available from
> at http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOSITables/VOSITables-v1.0.xsd).

Yes, correct.

> If so, then Markus's comment:
>
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2018, Markus Demleitner wrote:
>
> >   No functional impact is expected since the artifacts in the schema
> >   repository are not touched as such; this is essentially a
> >   documentation change.  Even if an implementor had chosen to copy
> >   schema files from the standard document rather than the schema
> >   repository, no impact is expected, as clients currently have no
> >   reason to interpret version attributes in the schema files of
> >   capabilities or availability.
>
> would not be true, and a possible impact might be that anybody
> (ill-advisedly) using the
> http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOSITables/VOSITables-v1.1.xsd resource
> would see it disappear.

Okay, good point, though I think Markus was only referring to capabilities
and availability so that point still stands still stands.  If this sounds
good, I will modify the impact section to say:

1.  If an implementor had chosen to copy the VOSI availability and/or VOSI
capabilities schema files from the document rather than the schema
repository, no impact is expected, as clients currently have no reason to
interpret version attributes in those schemas.

2.  Any implementors that, through discovering the resource from the IVOA
schema repository, refer to the v1.1 VOSI tables schema namespace URL must
change that to be the v1.0 URL.

3.  Since the content of the VOSITables schema does not change,
implementors need not make any associated code changes.

So, GWS members, if you have implemented VOSITables 1.1, please take action
if you fall into the scenario of point 2.

> One other thing: I corrected a spelling mistake (effects -> affects).

Damn, got that one wrong again :)

> Mark

Thanks for reading the erratum.

Brian