new UWS 1.1 WD -- mime and job list

Kristin Riebe kriebe at aip.de
Tue Sep 30 21:11:27 CEST 2014

Hi Grid,

I would also very much like some kind of format or mime attribute to uws
result, e.g. like this:

<uws:result id="xxx" format="csv" ...>

In our case we have a UWS service that returns results as csv-file,
ascii-votable, votable binary I or II. Currently, we list all 4
possibilities with uws:results.
But a general client can't distinguish between a query that returns
multiple results with *different content* and *different formats* of the
same content.

A format- or mime-attribute could help a lot here. I think in that case
I would also prefer if the result id could be the same, if only the
formats are different (though generally result ids should be unique).
Or is there any other mechanism already in place to handle this?

We recently came across another problem of our application: we have
users with hundred thousands of jobs, so that our web application ran
out of memory when the job list should have been returned.
We consider some kind of pagination now or restricting the returned list
to the latest 1000 jobs or so.
Maybe such a pagination could be considered for UWS 2.

Also, in that context, I would prefer if the location header in the
response after deleting a job does not necessarily have to point to the
job list, since then again we get into trouble each time one of the many
jobs is deleted. A simple reponse confirming a successful deletion could
be enough.

Cheers,

Kristin