new UWS 1.1 WD

Grégory Mantelet gmantele at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Sep 30 17:32:22 CEST 2014

Hello Grid,

I may have a suggestion of modification of the current UWS standard. I
probably show up a little late, but what I am suggesting is, according
to me, a minor modification and should not impact at all any existing
UWS implementation (including in the TAP protocol).

So, I am wondering whether it would be possible to add (or at least to
allow) the 2 following optional attributes for the 'result' item?

     a/ 'mime', or any other name that would suggest an attribute
informing about the type of result. I think a MIME type as value of this
attribute would be a good idea.

     b/ 'size' which will give the size in bytes of the document
proposed as result. I think users could be interested in a such piece of
information ; they would know how big is the result they have to
download. But I think it is particularly useful when several results are
available.

     (b.bis/ In TAP, I think the information about the number of rows
contained in the result would be also interesting for some clients. But
I do not know how to provide this information in the 'result' item.
Probably an attribute "rows", but it would be probably too much in
relation with the TAP protocol rather than applying to every kinds of
UWS implemention.)

So, what is your opinion about the addition of these two attributes?
Do you think some users may be interested by them?
And finally, I don't know whether such modifications make sense, but if
they do, should they be integrated in the new version 1.1 or in a next one?

Regards,
Grégory

PS: For the moment, I add these 2 attributes in my UWS library...which
is of course not valid in regard of the XML schema. That's why, for the
next coming soon version of my library, I am going to fix these
non-standard attributes by hiding them. However, if it turns out that it
makes sense to have such additional information, I will be ready to show
them again later.