new UWS 1.1 WD -- mime and job list

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Tue Sep 30 22:13:06 CEST 2014

On 30/09/14 12:11 PM, Kristin Riebe wrote:
> We recently came across another problem of our application: we have
> users with hundred thousands of jobs, so that our web application ran
> out of memory when the job list should have been returned.
> We consider some kind of pagination now or restricting the returned list
> to the latest 1000 jobs or so.
> Maybe such a pagination could be considered for UWS 2.

This could be done with optional parameters in the same offset/limit
style as VOSpace:

id=<starting jobID>
limit=<number of records to return>

The service has to return a consistent ordering. This also allows a
service to place an upper bound and default value on "limit". The
downside (also in vospace) is that to be robust you always make a last
call with the final ID you saw and get just that one back because it is
the only sure way to know you are done... at least, in vospace that was
deemed better than a "truncation marker" in the output to tell you more
records exist.

> Also, in that context, I would prefer if the location header in the
> response after deleting a job does not necessarily have to point to the
> job list, since then again we get into trouble each time one of the many
> jobs is deleted. A simple reponse confirming a successful deletion could
> be enough.

It is worse if you decide that job listing is not permitted and your job
list returns an authorisation failure :-). I agree with this as well.

--

Patrick Dowler
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre

250-363-0044 (office) 250-363-0045 (fax)