Questions concerning the future of the work around workflows

Jose Enrique Ruiz jer at iaa.es
Wed Sep 25 00:02:40 PDT 2013

Hi André, all

as you know, I have been quite active in last Interops with talks related
to the work undertaken in the WorkflowsForEver (Wf4Ever) project [1][2]. In
this context we have produced tools like AstroTaverna plugin [3],
contributed to the development of PDL for the self-desciption and semantic
interoperability of services, as well as with implementations of
PDL-clients, and started collaborations with other projects like the
SpanishVO, ER-Flow, and VAMDC (and I would like to read in this thread what
they have to say :) Though Wf4Ever finishes this year, these other projects
have still a way to go, as many others, just as the IVOA itself that I
think it should be there for new workflows-related projects to come.

I know SpanishVO is interested in adapting use cases for VO-discovery and
VO-data handling to workflows, and we will help them with our AstroTaverna
plugin. ER-Flow has also interest in porting VO use cases to its
infrastructure, and VAMDC would like to integrate its Taverna plugins with
ours, with PDL support. I have also being in contact with HELIO project,
which has developed their own internal workflows, they maybe have something
to say here in this mail-thread wrt. workflows in the VO.

Inside IVOA, I think we may reach workflows-related subjects through
several working groups (applications, semantics, gws, dal, kdd..), my
experience is that workflows do not only work with asynchronous web
services, but also synchronous or not web services at all (local data
handling). I'm convinced the data volumes to be produced soon will force
the next generation of VO archives to implement workflows techniques (not
only for techies but also for final users/astronomers) With this optic, I
would be in favor of creating an interest group if there is critical mass
for that now, or waiting for the right moment inside the GWS working group.

These are my 2c. though I would very much like to hear others.
For those of you attending to the Interop these days, please have fun in
Hawaï :)

Cheers !

 ---
Jose Enrique Ruiz