Questions concerning the future of the work around workflows

Claudio Vuerli vuerli at oats.inaf.it
Wed Sep 25 00:48:25 PDT 2013

Dear André, dear all,

I've read what José Enrique answered to your message and I totally agree
with him.
In my opinion the activity related to workflows within the IVOA through
the GWS has to be preserved. Not only, but we have to make any effort to
enforce contacts and common actions and initiatives between the GWS in
IVOA and workflow related projects, those currently active like ER-flow
as well as future projects that could be funded and approved.

Unfortunately I were not able to be active for this interop meeting; I'm
not attending it due to a number of urgent activities that I'm
processing in these weeks (including the review of the first year of
ER-flow), but I count to get in touch again with you and with the other
members of the GWS to continue what we have done in Heidelberg.

The trend for the near future in my opinion is the need to have smart
workflows in place to process the high volume of astronomical data
federated in the Virtual Observatory and distributed computing
e-Infrastructures that can be used to run these workflows. For this
reason I think that the GWS will play a key role from now on; it would
be a real pity to disband the GWS now.

So, I strongly support the creation of an interest group and I'm
obviously interested in participating in it if we think that this is
useful/necessary in this phase, and in any case I support any other
initiative aimed at continuing the workflow-related activities within
the Virtual Observatory.

Dear André, have a nice stay in Hawaii.
Claudio

--
Claudio Vuerli
INAF-Osservatorio Astronomico di Trieste
e-mail: vuerli at oats.inaf.it
skype: claudio_vuerli