Versioning

Paul Harrison paul.harrison at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Jul 2 12:48:01 PDT 2009

Hi All,

During the discussion that took place on this before the latest
Standards document the consensus was that for a document name of the
form

WD-VOSpace-2.0-yyyymmdd

  * That the 2.0 was the version number of the "protocol/standard"
  * yyyymmdd was effectively the version number of the document

What was not explicitly thought about is the progression from a
version 1.0 to a version 2.0 of a protocol, - in this case the
document numbering can only start and stay with 2.0 from first WD to
REC - even though there might be substantial (protocol/interface)
changes between the drafts (which would make the programmer in us want
to change the version number). Only after reaching the REC status does
the "2.0" number have to change. What should be removed from the
Standards document is the idea of a public WD that has a 0.x number,
as this is logically inconsistent with the new scheme - the first
public WD of a new protocol/standard should have a 1.0 number - the
new numbering scheme was intended to remove this ambiguity, but I
agree that the Standards document still does not make it clear.

Under this numbering scheme, what is currently VOTable 1.2 should
really be VOTable 2.0 in my opinion, as it causes VOTable 1.1 xml to
be invalid, even though the changes in the written document look quite
minimal. However, I am not sure who will police this sort of issue.....

Cheers,
	Paul.