Versioning

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Thu Jul 2 13:14:26 PDT 2009

On Jul 2, 2009, at 12:48 PM, Paul Harrison wrote:

> During the discussion that took place on this before the latest
> Standards document the consensus was that for a document name of the
> form
>
> WD-VOSpace-2.0-yyyymmdd
>
> * That the 2.0 was the version number of the "protocol/standard"
> * yyyymmdd was effectively the version number of the document
>
> What was not explicitly thought about is the progression from a
> version 1.0 to a version 2.0 of a protocol, - in this case the
> document numbering can only start and stay with 2.0 from first WD to
> REC - even though there might be substantial (protocol/interface)
> changes between the drafts

This distinction between version of the standard and version of the
document maps well onto the process used with VOEvent.  I have about
50 sequential (and some parallel) versions of the document that
eventually turned into v1.0 of the standard.  The first few versions
were named in a rather ad hoc manner until it became clear that one
has to say just these two things with the nomenclature from the very
first draft:

	- What standard am I working on?

	- What version of the document is this?

Otherwise you find yourself inadvertently incrementing the version of
the standard, when what you are really doing is just revising a draft
description of the same final product.  It would be silly to require
the version of the standard to be incremented with every notion
thrashed out by a working group while reaching consensus.

Which is to say that assigning a version number to a new standard is
something that occurs at the beginning of the development/revision
process, not just as a final swat on its tush.

Incrementing by integers has the main advantage of making progress in
the IVOA appear to be occurring ten times as rapidly.  (It's also more-
or-less the industry norm.)

Rob