new version of REST in the VO

schaaff at newb6.u-strasbg.fr schaaff at newb6.u-strasbg.fr
Thu Nov 6 07:59:01 PST 2008

Hi Guy,

Quoting Guy Rixon <gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk>:

> Hi Andre,
>
> I have a supplementary question. Given that "REST" is used to
> describe many styles, including some that Roy Fielding doesn't
> consider truly RESTful, how general are the toolkits?

Many toolkits are not dedicated to REST. With RoR you can provide
RESTful services but not necessary (close to or non REST services ).
Restlet framework is designed for it (with WADL support in the recent
1.1.0 release...).

> If I select a
> random toolkit, is it likely to let me build a pre-defined service
> (e.g. UWS), or do I have to pick a toolkit to suit my design?

Concerning for example UWS we will probably have UWS toolkits (e.g.
Java UWS toolkit at CDS...) for different languages and thus it will be
transparent for the end developer.
Do you think that it will be so ?

regards

André