UWS as a REST protocol

Guy Rixon gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Tue Feb 27 03:50:50 PST 2007

John,

it's possible to define a RESTful interface to VOSpace services, and, by
extension to VOSpace nodes. However, if the identifier for a VOSpace node is
http://mumble.mumble/... then it's tided to some specific site-name. The
vos:// notation lets us move the node transparently to a different host (or,
at least it lets us move the _space_; maybe not individual nodes); we can't do
this with http:// URIs except by DNS trickery.

I reckon that the indirection via the registry for finding VOSpaces is worth
it. I'd want to keep it even if VOSpace was a REST protocol.

Cheers,
Guy

Guy Rixon 				        gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Institute of Astronomy   	                Tel: +44-1223-337542
Madingley Road, Cambridge, UK, CB3 0HA		Fax: +44-1223-337523