UWS as a REST protocol

Dave Morris dave at ast.cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 26 18:51:43 PST 2007

Hiya,

Given that we want VOSpace to handle asynchronous transfers, the details
of the transfer returned in step (2) of your example could be details of
a state object in the server.
Initiating a VOSpace transfer is equivalent to starting a job, the
resulting 'transfer' is an object in the server representing the state
of the transfer.

In VOSpace, a client can initiate a transfer from one server to another,
which means that the client is not involved in the actual data transfer
itself.
So the client needs some state object to query to find out if the
transfer has been completed.
Given the URI (or URL) of the transfer state, the client could use the
REST service to read the state of the transfer.
The client could also use the same API to change the 'status' of the
state from 'active' to 'canceled' to cancel the transfer.

With objects that represent the state of actions, e.g. UWS jobs or
VOSpace transfers, do we need a delete operation ?
Once a job or transfer has run to completion, the state object could
become part of the log or history of the server activity.
In VOSpace terms, this could be represented as a 'log' directory
containing state objects for each of the past actions.

This gives us a common way of representing server logs for actions.
As with all logging mechanisms, the objects do not need to persist for
all time, it would be upto the server how long it keeps the record for.

Dave