Access control use-cases

Markus Dolensky Markus.Dolensky at eso.org
Mon Jul 10 05:59:56 PDT 2006

Dear Norman,

 >> http://wiki.eurovotech.org/twiki/bin/view/VOTech/AccessControlUseCases

Apparently you had input from VOSpacers already. Hence, what remains from a data
provider viewpoint is to underline the cases [Virtual-file permissions],
[Shared, writeable (virtual) file)] and [Quota on VOSpace storage] which are
generally related to file system operations.

 > I was talking recently to some folk who are working on policy
 > management (partly, though not exclusively, in the context of the
 > semantic web).  They seemed rather dismayed at how simple most use-
 > cases were, since they were aiming at a pretty powerful system.

I'd happily dismay those who look for complex cases :) As you say, an
implementation is not that simple since it has got to be robust and scale.

Just for your information: ESO is in the process of becoming a Registration
Authority for its staff members and is adopting the academic policy of the
global IGTF (www.gridpma.org) through its European branch EUGridPMA. This
implies use of X.509 certificates which appears to be in line with the
authorization packages that you evaluated.

Cheers,
Markus