MSO and multiple communities

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Tue Jul 6 06:52:34 PDT 2004

> We need multiple accounts - we already have multiple accounts.
> SSO needs to federate the accounts a user has on multiple systems.

No, yes, no :)

> The IVO (unlike AstroGrid) can not be a monolithic system

AstroGrid is not a single system at all but a set of separate components
working according to set interfaces - the IVO in fact.

> where I get a single account for everything - this will just not work.

I think there's confusion about accounts and groups. What you mean by
accounts, I mean by groups. Groups confer privileges, not accounts. Having
an account gives you no rights whatever. Only by being granted membership of
certain groups do you gain the rights of those groups.

> I might have to have a single identity which each system maps

That is what I mean by an account.

> to my account on that system - this is I believe what Guy is

No. A service confers access rights to a group. A user who is joined to that
group gets the rights conferred on that group. It doesn't matter to which
community the user originally registered or anything else. If the
administrator of a group adds the user to that group then that user has
those rights.

We absolutely do not want a proliferation of accounts on every server around
the world.

T.