Various minor problems in VO-DML repo

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Feb 23 08:45:43 CET 2023

Dear DM,

On Wed, Feb 22, 2023 at 06:55:53PM +0100, Laurent Michel wrote:
> However I’m not satisfied with the way those VODML files are
> published because the physical URLs e.g
> https://ivoa.net/xml/VODML/<Model>-v1.8.vo-dml.xml
> <https://ivoa.net/xml/VODML/%3CModel%3E-v1.8.vo-dml.xml> are
> hidden.  Both links should be visible on the XML page.

Let me say I'm unconvinced there is much value having all the past
minor versions lying around.  They probably will, in the end,
analogous to what happens with schemas, but, really, I have a hard
time imagining why anyone would want to access an old schema file
except in very rare circumstances (that we can now cover with version
control).

And lugging the old minor versions around does have a price tag.  For
instance, these minor-versioned URIs may tempt people into putting
these into MIVOT's MODEL/@url.   Whether or not that's bad is an
interesting question (which perhaps also should be addressed in
MIVOT).  If this were XML, it'd be a disaster.

Be that as it may: a filled-out uri element (missing in all the
vo-dml files in the repo so far) is important to me because MIVOT
requires the URL of the models in the model declarations.  DaCHS has
local copies of those[1] and hence can't easily tell what URIs they
may prefer.

So, either the models give that themselves, or I have to provide a
local mapping in DaCHS, the latter obviously being ugly and brittle.

So... who will fill in the uri-s?

Thanks,

            Markus

[1] Talking about which: I'd also appreciate if there were a
statement somewhere that these files are CC-0.  Please don't leave
them under the document's CC-BY, because I could then not
(realistially) distribute them with my code.