Time transformation

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Apr 3 16:33:23 CEST 2020

 >>> You mean like  DATE => MJD?  GMT - PST?
> yes I do

With all due respect, these are not transformations.
They are properties (renderings, if you like) of the pure coordinate value,
without needing any coordinate frame information.
If you want to transform a pixel coordinate to, say, a ICRS equatorial
coordinate, that is a true transformation, requiring information about the
relation between the two coordinate frames involved.
On the other hand, if I have a time stamp value that is kept, for instance,
in JD, I can ask it to be rendered in MJD or ISO-8601. No information
external to that JD value is required, not even its time scale.
True time transformations would be required for changing the time scale of
a particular time instance, or its time frame's reference position.
But that is a much more involved subject.

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Arnold H Rots

Research Associate

SAO/HEAD

Center for Astrophysics | Harvard & Smithsonian

Email: arots at cfa.harvard.edu

Office: +1 617 496 7701 | Cell: +1 617 721 6756

60 Garden Street | MS 69 | Cambridge, MA 02138 | USA

cfa.harvard.edu | Facebook <http://cfa.harvard.edu/facebook> | Twitter
<http://cfa.harvard.edu/twitter> | YouTube <http://cfa.harvard.edu/youtube>
| Newsletter <http://cfa.harvard.edu/newsletter>