Provenance DM WD review - invalidatedAtTime description

Mathieu Servillat mathieu.servillat at obspm.fr
Wed Jul 10 10:27:12 CEST 2019

Dear DMers,

As it seems that the authors can also express comments on their text during
the WD review, I have one concern with a sentence that was somehow added
without my consent, and that I find wrong and misleading about the relation
of invalidatedAtTime to validity. Here is the text in the WD:

Table 1 - invalidatedAtTime: date and time of the destruction, cessation,
or expiry of the entity. The
entity is no longer available for use (or further invalidation) after
invalidation. This does not relate to
the validity of the entity.

The last sentence "This does not relate to the validity of the entity"
brings confusion, as after invalidation, an entity is of course not valid
anymore in some way (more specifically "no longer available for use", and
probably most of the time destroyed). We could further discuss elsewhere
the relative validity of an entity for a given usage, but it is out of the
scope of the DM WD, that simply provides an irreversible, absolute validity
check.

This attribute is directly taken from the W3C PROV recommendation, and so
is the description text, except for the addition of this sentence.
Therefore, it would be best to stick to the W3C description to avoid
confusion.

Cheers,
Mathieu

--
Dr. Mathieu Servillat
Laboratoire Univers et Théories, Bât 18, Bur. 222