Fwd: VOEvent Update: JSON and data models

AdaNebot ada.nebot at astro.unistra.fr
Tue Oct 17 12:46:29 CEST 2017

Dear Roy,

Yes, I think these two things should be address separately, since the suggestion of a Time Series model is currently a bit hidden.

The choice of UT and HJD as the time scale and timestamp representation is not a good idea, as Arnold Rots already pointed out. This should be taken into account.

I would encourage the use of: TDB (time scale), JD (timestamp), BARYCENTER (ref. position).

Concerning the idea of groups of params and tables as data models, I’ve added dm to this thread so that it can be commented by DM'ers. My guess is that some discussion on this topic will happen in Santiago.

I add the link to your Note just in case it got lost in the thread: http://ivoa.net/documents/Notes/VOEventJSON/index.html <http://ivoa.net/documents/Notes/VOEventJSON/index.html>

Cheers,
Ada

VOEvent Update: JSON and data models
Author(s):
Roy Williams, Scott Barthelmy, Eric Bellm, Matthew Graham, Rob Seaman

UTL:
http://ivoa.net/documents/Notes/VOEventJSON/index.html <http://ivoa.net/documents/Notes/VOEventJSON/index.html>

Abstract
We propose an extension of the VOEvent format, to translate the packet from XML to JSON – with no semantic change. We also propose to use the VOEvent data model system to define three data-model Groups: “Light Curve”, “Associated Sources”, and “Followup Imaging”. This straightforward update of VOEvent simplifies the syntax and provides simple, standard representation of common astronomical datasets.