Obscore dataproduct_type question

Laurent Michel laurent.michel at astro.unistra.fr
Wed Apr 20 15:03:50 CEST 2016

Hello,

I'm likely guided by my experience with XMM data but this is a valuable use case anyway.
The data bulk released with one XMM observation contains various data types. To make it simple, we can find there event lists,
images, spectra, time series and source lists possibly in various formats (FITS, PDF..)
All these data sets can take place in an Obscore table except the source list. This exception has no justification since the
source list is a scientific product issued from the processing of a particular observation. There is even one stronger reason
for pushing the source lists in Obscore which is that source level products (e.g. time series, spectra) are attached to
individual detections which are nothing else than source list rows. So hiding the source list would limit the possibilities of
the data discovery.
I guess that this point of view can easily be extended to other missions of instruments.

Moreover, for catalogues which are table compilations (e.g. XMM catalogue) or large sky coverage surveys (e.g. 2MASS), most of
the characterisation axes parameters are not relevant. So Obscore description does not bring much. The Dataset DM or the source
DM are better suited for his kind of datasets.

The right position of the cursor between publishing or not a table in Obscore is left to the appreciation of the data publisher.
But an appropriate vocabulary may help for this.

As far as vocabulary is concerned, I would prefer to speak about a 'source list' instead of a 'catalogue' which is too generic
for a list of sources extracted from one specific observation.

Assuming that most of the Obscore axe values can be set from the parameters of the related observation, I suggest to allow
dataproduct_type='sourcelist' in Obscore1.1.

Laurent

--
jesuischarlie/Tunis/Paris/Bruxelles

Laurent Michel