Obscore dataproduct_type question

Douglas Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Fri Apr 15 19:45:03 CEST 2016

I have always thought that ObsCore should include "catalog" as a
dataproduct type.  This was opposed in the first version due to a desire
by the Exec to keep things as simple as possible, but I do not think it
would have complicated things or delayed the release.

A catalog is a valid data product with calib_level 3 or higher.  It is
not that much different than some other high level, derived data
products such as a dither stack.  These higher level data products are
often the data products one most wants to find for analysis.

While many catalogs are derived from multiple observations or even
collections, it is possible for example to perform object detection on a
single observation, and include the result in the set of data products
published for the observation, all sharing the same obs_id.  Catalogs
can even have valid metadata giving the spatial, spectral, and time
coverage for the catalog.  So, +1 for me too.    - Doug