[ImageDM] Mapping

Douglas Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Mon Nov 25 15:02:43 PST 2013

Hi Mark -

I got the impression earlier that you were suggesting doing this by
adding additional axes to Characterization; sure sounded like it.  In
any case, for ImageDM/Spectral CoordSys is a place we can put transforms
that don't fit into either Char or STC - FluxFrame/Photometry is an
existing example.  In principle Mapping could be be moved there, however
the complexity and size issue alone is sufficient to argue against this
(also encapsulation etc. as I noted earlier).  You yourself argued a
while back that Mapping was Data element specific and should be modeled
as part of the Data element.

In the case of STC, we did a comparison of STC to FITS WCS a while back.
STC does have some capability for this, but it is quite limited compared
to FITS WCS.  Hopefully we don't have to wade through all that again
(hah!).  Compatibility with FITS WCS and easy transformation to and from
our VO representations is mandatory if we wish to have any up-take by
the non-VO community since the community is heavily invested in WCS,
both in archive data and in client software.  STC could possibly be
supported as an optional representation, e.g., to specify an output
projection, and might work for simple projections so long as someone can
work out the transformation to/from WCS.

 	- Doug